Friday, December 4, 2015

UGLY by Margaret McHeyzer

25987654

From Goodreads

If I were dead, I wouldn't be able to see.
If I were dead, I wouldn't be able to feel.
If I were dead, he'd never raise his hand to me again.
If I were dead, his words wouldn't cut as deep as they do.
If I were dead, I'd be beautiful and I wouldn't be so...ugly.
I'm not dead...but I wish I was.

My Review

I gave this book a 5 Star Rating

I received this copy of the book Ugly as an ARC from Netgalley and the Author Margaret McHeyzer for an honest review.  I just want to make it clear that I'm not related or am I a friend of hers.  

All I can say is WOW this was such a roller coaster of a ride.  Made me want to reach into the book and strangle so many people. If you can not handle reading about abuse than please do not pick this book up.  It will tear out your heart and stay with you. Mental and physical abuse happens over and over in our world and really is something that is hard on the person on the receiving end to deal with.  And people that are living through the abuse do really well on covering it up, as they do not want the people in their life's to know what is really happening to them.

Spoiler Alert may be in this review so read at your own risk!

The book starts out as 12 year old Lily is hiding from her father who has  mentally and physically abused her for years.  As she grows up the abuse continues and gets worst.  Her father is always telling her how ugly and stupid she is.  And Lily being young does not know any better, she believes everything her father tells her.  Then at the age of 17 here comes Trent a very good looking young man that takes Lily away from her father.  As it turns out Trent is no better than her father, so again Lily is thrown back into more abuse but this includes sexual abuse.  She ends up marrying Trent because Lily really does believe that he loves her. Trent makes her think that every time that he beats her or rapes her that is Lily's fault because he tells her she is Ugly and Stupid and she just makes him mad and if she was a better wife and did not anger him he would not do those things to her.

Lily grew up not know what it was like to be treated with love and kindness so she does really believe that she is ugly and stupid.  You can not hold it against her for staying and putting up with the abuse that is dealt to her.  She never had family or friends to speak to about what was happening to her.  She kept quiet for so many years.  




0 comments:

Post a Comment